nohypers

It is currently 26 Feb 2020 05:43

All times are UTC + 8 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 426 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 18, 19, 20, 21, 22
 Post subject: Re: Dumb things you're thinking of buying
PostPosted: 15 Jan 2020 07:09 

Not so much a dumb thing I'm thinking about buying, more a dumb thing I'm thinking of doing. I need a change at work. I've been working in IT for a couple of years and while I'm good at it and I think I like it in principle, in practice it's very annoying. More often than not you don't get listened to when you explain best practice and then get complaints when they don't do what you recommend and things don't work the way they want.

I'm seriously thinking of dropping down to 4 days a week and giving streaming a serious go. I haven't been able to build a regular audience but I feel if I had a day where I could just concentrate on streaming I could build that audience easier. A lot of my problem at the moment is not being able to commit to a regular schedule. I get home from work and I'm tired or in a bad mood so I don't stream.

There are some pretty big risks with this though. I don't earn any money through streaming. I do have some leave built up so I can try it for a couple of months and see if I get any success. It could also mean that I burn a lot of leave and not have any luck.

Money is also going to be very tight doing this. I'm worried I'm running a little close to the line money wise and this could tip me over.

I haven't spoken to work about it. I have no idea if they'd even let me take one day off a week.

Am I being crazy thinking I can do this? Is it just wishful thinking that I can make it work? I'm terrified that I'll do this and it will just turn into another job and I'll get bored with it very quickly.

PostPosted: 15 Jan 2020 07:29 
the enigma

If not now, when?

Think about what the worst is if you give it a go. Then think about what may come out of it.

Realise that if you don't give it a go, you know exactly what the outcome will be as it is exactly what you have now and you are unhappy.

If streaming doesn't work out or you become bored of it, at least you will know and it will likely lead to something else.

What if it does succeed or lead to something you enjoy doing. That outcome is priceless.

Lastly look at the people you work with, particularly those who have worked in the same industry for 10 or 15 years longer. That's your future if you never try anything different.

PostPosted: 24 Feb 2020 08:19 
the enigma

I hope I'm not prying but any update str8jaktjim?

On a related note, Ive been looking into potential revenue from creating youtube channels and am thinking about giving one (some?) a go

PostPosted: 24 Feb 2020 09:34 

Since then I've actually made Twitch Affiliate so I can make money off my streams now. Unfortunately I'd need like 150/200 subs to be able to afford to drop down to 4 days a week. I have asked work if I can take a day off a week to try and build that audience (I've got leave I can take while I try and build the subs) but they haven't gotten back to me yet.

I've also joined a streaming group of sorts called Game On Australia. It started off as a gaming podcast (which they still do live on Twitch on Wednesday nights) but they also have a group of streamers that stream to the channel every night of the week and they run a website that does game reviews and stuff like that. I've picked up the Monday streaming slot. There's some revenue sharing arrangements there as well, which is another avenue to make some money from it. I haven't yet but they were running a bushfire appeal thing during February so even if I did make money from that it would have gone to that anyway.

They run a FB group as well called Game On Aus - God Mode for anyone to join. We actually had a meet up at Palace Arcade here in Perth on Saturday and had about 30-40 people there, which was really cool. A few people said it was kinda weird meeting people off the internet and I talked to them about how we used to do all the Hyper catch ups back in the day. That was a lot more awkward, walking up to someone in the middle of the street asking if they were from Hyper. This one was a ticketed event (you could register for free or pay and get on the bar tab, get a preloaded game card and some food) so you could find us all pretty easy.

So I'm still working on streaming and it feels like I'm making progress. I'll keep trying things and see if I can build more of an audience. I'm sort of planning stuff for Star Wars Day (May the 4th), thinking about either playing the X-Wing or TIE Fighter games through DOS Box or doing a run of Rogue Leader on the GameCube. Thinking of doing something for Mario Day too (Mar10) but that's a bit harder since I normally play Mario Maker anyway and can't work out how to make it different from what I do normally. Maybe I'll just dress up as Mario for that stream.

If you're just posting videos to YouTube it's incredibly difficult for small content creators to make money. A couple of years ago YouTube upped the requirements you needed to meet to earn money from your channel. You have to be a YouTube Partner https://support.google.com/youtube/answer/72851 first, which requires you to have 4000 hours watch time in the last 12 months and have more than 1000 subscribers (followers). Before I got NBN I used to upload my videos just to YouTube. I was building a pretty decent following and had some money in the bank for it, but then the changes really put a stop to that.

I've been streaming for just over a year and I've been trying to put out about 20/30 minutes worth of YouTube content from my stream every day (which is going fairly well) and with that I've got 48 subs and 341 hours of watch time in the last year, well short of the 1000 subs/4000 hours to start making money on it again. It's interesting (well interesting to me) that in that year none of my Mario Maker videos are in the top 10 of my most watched videos. I've got 3 SWTOR videos in there and the rest are my play through of Captain Toad on the Switch. If I change it to the last 28 days, SWTOR has 2 videos in the top 10 and the rest are still Captain Toad videos. I have no idea why my Captain Toad videos are so popular, especially for a two year old game.

PostPosted: 25 Feb 2020 01:54 
the enigma

thanks for update. seems like you are posting a lot of content

out of interest, can you see how much individual subscribers on youtube have watched?

PostPosted: 25 Feb 2020 09:19 

You can't see if an individual subscriber has watched, but you get stats about how many of your views came from subscribers.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 426 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 18, 19, 20, 21, 22