nohypers

It is currently 19 Jan 2020 14:05

All times are UTC + 8 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 765 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 35, 36, 37, 38, 39  Next
 Post subject: Re: Movie Reviews!
PostPosted: 28 Apr 2019 19:22 

Bruce Lee wrote:
Str8JaktJim wrote:
.But like has been said now we've got the X-Men and all of Fox's stable of Marvel characters available again, which is exciting to see who they go with (if anyone)

X-Men reboot on the cards?

I think that's pretty much guaranteed. Dark Phoenix will be the last of the Fox X-Men movies.

PostPosted: 29 Apr 2019 07:31 

I think the MCU as it stands only has a limited shelf life before they have to do some sort of reboot.

Actors are ageing and leaving and while it looks like they are continuing on with other characters, I think there'll be some point where they want to bring back some of the originals so they'll do a universe reset with younger actors. They don't have to redo everyone's origin story but maybe they can just wind things back to Avengers 1 (but set in present day).

I think at that point they should bring in the Xmen and Fantastic Four and whoever else they have the rights to now, rather than rebooting them now and then having to reboot them again later.

PostPosted: 11 May 2019 05:50 

Detective Pikachu - 4.5/10

Avoid. Just watch the trailers.

PostPosted: 26 Jun 2019 17:57 

Brightburn -5/10

Average. Just a kid with super powers on a tantrum rampage. They could have done so much more but they didn't.

Toy Story 4 - 9/10.

Pixar back at it's best. The detail of animation is amazing with a great story.

PostPosted: 02 Jul 2019 17:28 

Spider-Man 2: Far From Home. 6/10

Predictable plot but decent. The first movie had a better storyline.

PostPosted: 16 Jul 2019 13:11 

Bruce Lee wrote:
Spider-Man 2: Far From Home. 6/10

Predictable plot but decent. The first movie had a better storyline.

I agree. It was enjoyable but not as good as the first. It was more about Peter dealing with losing his father figure and trying to go from being the friendly neighbourhood Spiderman to something more.

I'm really not sure where the MCU goes from here. I don't even know the next Marvel movie out the gate.

PostPosted: 19 Jul 2019 12:53 

I think they're making a Black Widow film that will be a prequel. Still starring Johansson though.

PostPosted: 19 Jul 2019 17:19 

But do we have a release date? Normally we know at least one movie in advance. It's a good guess that Black Panther 2, Captain Marvel 2 and Doctor Strange 2 are coming, and we know that Guardians 3 is being worked on with the firing/rehiring of James Gunn. I think I saw a headline the other day that Taita Waititi is coming back for Thor 4, but most of these are either speculation or so far away we've got no real idea about them.

I get the feeling the Far From Home would have done better with a release date later in the year. I know it doesn't fit well with the American school holidays, but even a month or two later would have helped it (not that it was that great a movie), but I feel like it just went under the radar coming after Endgame. I think we need a break from Superhero movies. I think we'll be going back to two Marvel movies a year now, rather than the three we've been getting lately.

PostPosted: 21 Jul 2019 10:57 

Well, SDCC answered a lot of those questions.

PostPosted: 21 Jul 2019 21:31 
Like fingering a girl with a backwards vagina.

Location: Broken Hill - Yeah I don't know where it is, either.
Live action Lion King was alright. Think I preferred Aladdin.

PostPosted: 01 Aug 2019 18:39 

Lion King was good. For me, the only things that were out of place were Beyonce's voice over and her song as the lions were running through the desert. Bleh.

:thumbsdown:

PostPosted: 19 Sep 2019 19:04 

Seen a couple of movies over the last couple of days.

Godzilla 2. Fun to watch monsters clobber each other but dear god this movie made no sense. The story (what was there) was stupid.

Bumblebee. Alright for a Michael Bay movie, although as with all Michael Bay movies with giant robots humans greatly over estimate what they can do to help. The opening on Cybertron got me really excited and now I want to see a whole movie of that though.

Toy Story 4. Still good but think I would have preferred for it to finish with 3.

PostPosted: 04 Nov 2019 16:35 

Terminator Dark Fate. IMO it was good. Better than the other attempted Terminator reboots.

PostPosted: 04 Nov 2019 18:41 

I'd still rather they brought back Sarah Connor Chronicles.

PostPosted: 19 Dec 2019 18:12 

Star Wars: Rise Of Skywalker. In a word: disappointing 5/10

PostPosted: 19 Dec 2019 21:54 

I actually really enjoyed it, and feel it’s flaws were caused by its predecessor and Carrie Fisher dying during filming - two things it couldn’t really avoid

PostPosted: 20 Dec 2019 08:06 

One of my main problems with it is how the Force is portrayed. This could just be a me problem, as I used to be a mega fan. I'd read all the books and comics, play as many of the video games as I could and absorb as much SW information as my brain could possibly handle. Don't get me wrong, I'm still a fan, I just don't have the time to digest everything the way that I used to. Force powers have (had?) a defined set of rules and here the Force just seemed to be whatever the movie needed it to be.

I'm going to go into some pretty major spoilers here so I'll black it out.

Force healing is one that bugged me in TROS. The Force is supposed to aid healing, not to speed it up to be able to heal a mortal wound in seconds. Then things like lifting starships with the force. Something that looks like it takes Yoda a lot of effort in ESB and even lifting that pillar in AOTC after the Dooku fight looks like nothing to Kylo Ren and Rey when they only start straining when they're fighting each other for Force control of levitating a troop carrier? I'd still rank the Sequel Trilogy above the Prequel Trilogy, but at least the PT didn't treat the Jedi/Sith as gods, just powerful individuals.

Also, all that 'all the Jedi are within me'/'all the Sith are within me' stuff. Jedi didn't learn how to keep their form in the Force after death until Qui Gon Jinn did and all of a sudden a single Jedi/Sith can contact every other Jedi/Sith that every existed?

Finn and the Force was annoying in this movie as well. He can suddenly feel things through the Force? What the hell? As Han says to Finn in TFA "That's not how the Force works!".

And don't get me started on Poe just being named leader of the Resistance after Leia dies (that's not too big of a spoiler for people I hope. With Carrie Fisher's death I think it would be obvious that they were going to kill her off). TLJ made Poe grow into a leader but TROS does nothing to show he's a leader, he's just galavanting off around the galaxy doing individual stuff, not leading the Resistance as a whole. Then when he gets the leadership the first thing he does is make Finn a general as well? We've never even seen his leadership abilities, he just goes along with what everybody else is doing.

The Sith Fleet was another one that annoyed me. Actually, not so much the Sith Fleet but the absence First Order fleet. Where the hell was it? They've been this major force in the galaxy for years, controlling things on their own without the Sith fleet, but all the Resistance needs to do to win is to destroy the Sith Fleet? I call bullshit.

I also call bullshit on everybody coming to help. This is a galaxy that was too scared to help the Resistance in Last Jedi but they'll help against a Sith Fleet that can kill planets? All that's different is they're attacking with a "hey guys don't worry we've got a plan" message rather than just calling for help.

Kylo Ren leading the First Order was so quickly retconned in the begging of this movie I got whiplash. I liked that they brought the Emperor back. He gave the movie some badly needed menace, but to have him suddenly take charge of the First Order like that and so quickly was jarring.

I was really hoping for the balancing of the Force prophecy to come back into play, especially with Rey's vision of seeing her and Kylo on the throne together. I thought it would have been a good ending to see them together like that, dark and light working together fighting the Emperor but it wasn't to be.

The lightsabre battles were amazing though. Despite my dislike of their god-like powers it made for super entertaining duels. I also liked they brought Denis Lawson back as Wedge in the final space fight. I almost thought he was Anthony Daniels doing another out-of-C3PO cameo but I realised who it was from the voice.

I feel like the Sequel Trilogy suffered from a lack of overarching story. One of the things Marvel does well is it has a loose plan for where they want to be at the end of their phases so the movies can still be individual but contribute to the story as a whole. This can change depending over time, but there is a plan there. This doesn't really work for SW as each Director brings their own interpretation to it. I can't believe I'm saying this but at least Lucas was the main creative influence on the OT and PT. With multiple people having a hand in the ST it feels messy.

I feel like TROS spent too much time trying to undo what TLJ did and it wasn't needed. Yes TLJ was a very divisive movie, and I may have been one of the few that thought it was great (although the Canto Bight sequence was ridiculous), but it still exists and having to undo it takes a good portion of TROS. I think they should have just leaned into it and let it be.

I feel a little bad for being so down on it. I love that we got new SW movies and that we can live in this universe again. And I don't want to be one of those fans that go around saying 'This isn't my SW' (I really hope I haven't come across like that). I just feel like this movie could have been a lot better. And like I said maybe it's my many years of knowing pretty much everything about SW colouring how I see the new canon, but TROS feels disappointing to me because of what it could have been.

PostPosted: 20 Dec 2019 10:19 

From what I gather the film seems like a very J.J. Abrams story in all the worst possible ways, complete with a Marvel superhero villain and cheesy false deaths

PostPosted: 20 Dec 2019 13:05 

I've read a few reviews now (I went into serious spoiler avoidance mode before I saw it) and all of them hit the nail on the head for me. The most poignant thing I've read (and a few reviewers said it) is that TROS is wish fulfillment for SW fans, which I've taken to mean they got so much backlash from TLJ that they wanted to make a movie that appealed the the mass SW fan base, which I think is what they've done. They've tried to make a safe movie that wouldn't enrage the fans and I think in doing so they've made something that's a bit of a mess but still gives massive scale space battles and awesome duels.

I hate the fact that the reaction to TLJ made them think they couldn't take risks. I also hate that there are some elements of the SW fandom that are so toxic film makers have to do this to try to please them.

PostPosted: 05 Jan 2020 13:29 

Star Wars: The Rise of Skywalker. Had pacing issues and I felt it dragged on. Also had some plot holes/flaws IMO. 5/10

Jumanji - the one with Robin Williams. Not bad for a film from the 1990s with the CG. 6/10

Jumanji: Welcome to the Jungle - modern flavour on the original. Decent watch if you have time to spare. 7/10

Jumanji: The Next Level - Actual locations looked better (if they weren't CG). Additional characters made it interesting but it's the same plot as the previous movie. 6/10

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 765 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 35, 36, 37, 38, 39  Next